Teacher Interview

 

TEACHER INTERVIEW



The teacher that I interview is Ms. Ferrell.  She is an intermediate teacher at Penn Elementary school CPS). I was her assistant in 2008-2012. Just recently, I did my observation in her classroom. I have to say that the time working with her and recent interaction with her and her students, I haven’t seen her children be severe behavior problems. I have seen her build a relationship with her students. She is a very calm teacher, and I have never seen her be stress in front of her Students. I always observe her passive and go above and beyond for the students.
Violeta: Can you please introduce yourself? 
Ms. Ferrell: Hi, my name is Tewana Ferrell. I am an individual education teacher, with the city of Chicago. I have been a teacher for 25 years. I have thought special education, intermediate and middle school. 
Comments:  Working with Ms. Ferrel for four years, I have seen her goal to be academic learning.  She was very determined for them to learn no matter what their disability they had. Not only she establishes organization but also apply it to academic learning. (Goals p.263)

Violeta: What type of classroom management structure do you implement in your in the classroom? 
Ms. Ferrel: Classroom structure is a very important aspect of creating a conducive environment for learning. What I found that has worked for me is allowing my students to participate in how they like to see their classroom ran.  They help make up the rules and even have a say in the consequences. I use a point system for turning in homework, classroom participation, school work, good behavior, lunchroom behavior, and even bathroom behavior. I remind the students that structure allows us to have a few mishaps keeps unwanted behavior thought out the, and it provides them with a safe and fun environment. 
Comment: Right here, we see that the teacher uses the token reinforcement system. She uses points for behaviors in all areas, academic work, and positive classroom. Here she also uses the cueing when she is asking them how their class should run.

Violeta: What approach or strategy do you use with behavior students?  
Ms. Ferrell: I use the one on one approach with any student that comes with behavior issues. This is when I get to know the student, know his or her dislikes. Things they like to do. Things that make them angry. What frustrates them, I use this technique to have students open up to me to so the trusting bond can start to develop. And generally after that, I usually don’t have any problems with students.  The behavior has never been an issue or weakness of mine. I'm a pretty much been able to keep my students under control. I do have 25 years under my belt, so I think I am able to take care of those issues. 
Comment:  Here, we see that the teacher is using Social Cognitive Theory. The social cognitive learning theory focuses on learning in a social setting. When the teacher says that she gets to her students, she is focusing on learning in a social environment. Observing the behavior of her students to develop procedures. These may also be lead by observing other mentors, leaders, or who conducted some type of proper conducted modeled. 

Violeta: How do you deal with a student who never turns in classroom work?
Ms. Ferrell: I never had to deal with students not turning in class work. I make learning fun. That has never been a problem. But if there was a problem, I take computer time from them. During computer time they are to complete missing assignments. 
Comment: I can see many principles used here, one is the Premack principle, the preferred activity can be a reinforcer for a less-preferred activity. Here we see the child is not completing the classroom work, the teacher tells him that he needs to complete classroom work if he wants to use the computer.  We can say that she used removal punishment.  
Voleta: How do you engage a reluctant student?
Ferrel: When students are reluctant, it’s always a reason. These are why one on one is so important. I give a little more attention to students who are not sure of what they need to do. Once I get to know my students, I know them and understand what they like and dislike. Usually, when a student is reluctant. There is a reason behind it.thats is why it is essential to know your students. Once you get to know your students and they began to open up to you and trust you. You can figure them out and nip it right away. 
Comment: Here we can observe that the teacher is using Teacher's self-efficacy. One of the significant attribute to teaching, especially in classroom behavior management, is a teacher’s sense of efficacy. According to Woolfolk, the development of self-efficacy is essential for producing effective, committed teachers. Here we see how the teacher responses to misbehavior may be mediated by her beliefs and ability to deal with behavior, as well as her opinions about the causes of student misbehavior.

Violeta: What would you do if you encounter two of your students calling each other names or fighting? 
Ms. Ferrell: I do not tolerate name calling, being mean, back talk, and fighting. As a teacher, I’ve always have had good classroom management. I intervene immediately if I suspect something is about to become a problem. I can’t remember my students ever fighting each other. My classroom management skills keep my students in line. Even when I am absent, the substitute leaves a note stating how pleasant my students were, and it was great subbing for me. I love my students, and they know it. That makes a world of difference. I simply do not tolerate bullying.
Comment Here, the teacher uses Functional Behavioral Assessment with positive support. She right away assesses the behavior and intervenes with positive support. 

Violeta: What advice will you give a first-year teacher? 
Ms. Ferrell:  My advice to a first-year teacher is to be excited. You have made it through all the hard work to get you where you are. So be happy about that. Be nice but yet be firm. Even be firm with some of your colleges mean what you say. Just enjoy yourself. Teaching is a rewarding profession.


Comment: There are many theories and principals to follow. Negative and Postive reinforcements and punishments. As future educators, we will apply some of these principals, and we will see what works for us and what didn't. I believe we should start with self-efficacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 5 Chapter 12, 14, 15 (Educational Psychology)