Module 4 Chapter 9,10,11




In chapter 9, focus on the complex cognitive process that leads to understanding (p. 340).   It was a very interesting chapter because it pointed out a variety of teaching methods. They discuss metacognition, using knowledge and skills about learning, motivation, and yourself to plan and regulate your learning (p.399). Metacognition is defined as "thinking about thinking." Metacognition consists of three components: declarative, procedural and self-regulatory:  Metacognitive learning includes declarative knowledge about oneself as a learner and the factors that might impact performance, self-regulatory procedural knowledge about strategies, and knowledge about when and why to use strategies (341). I believe that metacognition gives better guidance and advantages to students in the understanding of learning.

One method that I have just learned that educators can use is self-regulated learning. I read it in this chapter, and in the videos, they also talk about it. As students, they are always generating thoughts, feelings, and actions, but with this SRL, they can use that to plan. I love to plan since I have a hectic life. I am also a party planner that plans other people parties. I love to be creative. One of my challenges is when they want to plan the party and have me work it out. This is where I want to self-regulate and create an outstanding party. But I have to remember that the customer comes first and if it is what they want to do so.  is what I do. Whether it is in party planning, school, or working with children, we all have process planning, monitor, and evaluate to accomplish self-efficacy. This reminds me of my teacher interview; she said that most of all is essential to have self-efficacy. 

The learning retrieval practice is recalling what they learned. (p.350). These strategies to keep in mind as a future educator, listing key ideas, drawing concept maps, explaining to a friend, teaching another student, completing the KWL worksheet, taking a self-test. I have seen the classroom teacher uses many of these practices as well as myself. One that I love to use it when they read a book to tell their friends about it. The friend then talks about her partner's book and vice versa. KWL is another practice that we use for every subject.
The tools mentioned in this chapter are useful for the student because it helps promote a more in-depth understanding. These strategies can be applied to many subjects. The more we can teach elementary students to be actively thinking about thinking which it is metacognition, the more effective their learning will be.
Chapter 10 focuses on cognitive, social constructivism, learning environments, collaboration, and cooperation.  The theorists who are grounded to the development of constructivism are Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky. Piaget is responsible for the development of cognitive constructivism, referring to the individual process of constructing knowledge. Piaget states his theory of cognitive development is that "individuals build their cognitive structure as they make sense of their experience (p. 383). If we combine constructivist strategies with some explicit teaching strategies, these will help students at risk and students with disabilities.

Chapter 11 covers social cognitive views of learning and motivations. Here modeling is defined as learning by observing others. It brought an aha moment because I see this a lot. I experience it this morning, while we played musical chairs, the child observed when I was getting closer to my phone, and he got closer to the chair. Modeling and observing can have significant outcomes, but it also has some not so good consequences. For example, when one of the students was out from our musical chair games. He threw himself on the floor, complaining.  I have a non-English speaker in our room, and when he was out of the game, he also did the same thing than the first child. We have to try to keep a positive learning environment and become good models so that the child or observational learning can direct directing, attention, encouraging existing behaviors to develop good habits (p.433)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 5 Chapter 12, 14, 15 (Educational Psychology)

Teacher Interview