Read Read Read!


I believe reading can be easier than writing. It can be productive and enjoyable, but it can also be sour and mind-numbing.  I guess I do enjoy reading but it depends if I’m reading and interesting book that is going to open my mind to the fullest imaginations or is a book that was assigned to me and expectations are required.
For the most part, I do enjoy reading books for fun but they have to be interested and that I can read at my own pace. Reading to me is an opportunity to absorb more knowledge, learn about new viewpoints, and engage in creative ideas. However, when it comes to school reading- the books are already selected. Thus, this makes it more difficult for me to enjoy reading. I am expected to focus on the idea of studying the book instead of reading for pleasure. For example, reading the only Grammar Book is one book that I see myself re-reading over and over. I lose my focus knowing that  it’s assigned to be read by certain time, and this is what kills the fun of reading. I like to take my time reading, taking notes, and practicing.
Although reading for fun is better to me, reading for school opens the door to new ideas and potential interest.  For Example, in my History class with Mr. Brooks, I read a book called Night by Elie Wiesel. It was a vivid Nobel that caught my heart.  This was a story about a 15 years old who tells his experience and tragedy he witness when the Jewish race lands in the hands of the Nazis. This was a book that I had to read and report on it. But since the book was base a true events from the author perspective and it was interested I could not put it down and enjoyed it very much.
But it seems that we are always reading. We might read build board, store signs, the back of license plates, t-shirt etc. We catch ourselves reading all the time. After all, according to Dr. Seuss, “The more that you read the more things you will know. The more you learn the more places you’ll go.”

Comments

  1. I know what you mean about assigned reading versus reading that we choose to do for ourselves. You made a great point though--'Night' was a book that was assigned, yet you felt great sympathy for Elie and what he went through and the things that he saw (I read that book for a course in my master's program). I've often thought that it might be fun to be a member of a book club. Sometimes people have read a book that could really be life changing; just as Night affected you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violeta,
    Yes, reading the Grammar book assigned to us in this class can be a very daunting task; I also find myself re-reading the pages, knowing I have trailed off in my own mind. This book is very factual and helpful, but is a great example of reading for education, without any enjoyment involved. Reading books that interest us and provoke our minds is very important, it reminds us that reading has a greater purpose. The grammar book is meant to educate and help the reader become a better writer. It’s the building blocks and connection to the great works of art like the vivid—thought provoking novel you read in your other class. Your thoughts on this area are very similar to my own; reading is in fact, “everywhere.”
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Charlotte,

    Reading for fun is easy and entertaining, but reading something as an assigned can be downright boring depending on what I have to read. I look forward to reading something for fun like when I read Sybil. I read this book several times, and I was quite amused by all of Sybil's personalities. When I have to read something for an assignment I procrastinate, but once I get started I try to implement...all the things that I am reading and learning. Afterwards, I try to set realistic and achievable goals in remembering what I've read. Reading is very beneficial and rewarding we just have to allow ourselves to how control over our own actions in order to learn from what we are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry typo...I meant to say have control

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Module 5 Chapter 12, 14, 15 (Educational Psychology)

Teacher Interview